Shop For Others
The Shop for Others view is a Giftster favorite! It lets you view gift details, mark an item reserved or purchased, and follow member-provided links to stores to buy the items.
How to shop for others
This view shows you other people's lists and preferences, to help take the anxiety out of both choosing and buying the items they really want.
- Select the member name on the left, then select a list or their gift preferences. This shows you their latest lists.
- Select an item row to expand it to show you more detail and large image if available
- Use the icons on the right to mark an item reserved or purchased, to add the same item to your list, or to search Amazon for up to 5 product matches based on the item description. Need to undo a reserve or purchase? Select the unlock icon to release.
- Select the green website/shopping cart icon to open a new window containing a web page for that item provided by the list maker. This is likely a place where you can purchase the item.
- To nudge the list maker to clarify an item description, or to refresh their list, select the reminder link with the bolt icon. You can even send the list maker an anonymous email so they won't know who is asking about their list or a particular item.
Frequently asked questions
Can the list maker see what I marked on their list?
No. By default the list maker's My List view of their list will not show which items are marked purchased or reserved, or who marked them that way.
Note: If the list is a child account list, the list maker can see reserves and purchases. By default, child account lists do display on the shop for others page. (You can distinguish a child account list - it is indented under the parent account name on shop for others, and child accounts display the child account smiley child on the my groups page).
What is the difference between reserve and purchase?
The two statuses are for your convenience in organizing your shopping. You can choose how to use them. The important thing to know is Giftster automatically accumulates all your items marked reserved or purchased on the my shopping list view. So you have one place to keep track of everything you marked.
We suggest you mark items you intend to purchase reserved. Other shoppers can see this. All your reserved items will be on my shopping list at the top as your "things to buy" list. Mark them purchased as you finalize your shopping, or you can release an item if you change your mind or couldn't find it.
How do I buy the item I marked purchased?
Think of Giftster as your shopping list system. So when you mark it purchased on Giftster, you are free to buy it anywhere you prefer. And once you buy it, mark it purchased on Giftster, to prevent a duplicate gift.
Look for the green website/shopping cart button on the item name. If the list maker provided a web link to a store, we'll display that link, which helps you locate the perfect place to find and purchase the exact item.
How do quantities work?
Giftster supports quantities. Each time you click on reserve or purchase you decrease the available quantity by 1. Different people can reserve or purchase an available quantity for the same item on the same list when the list maker requested more than 1. If you have a quantity reserved, clicking on purchase decreases your reserve by 1 and increases your purchase by 1. An explanation of the quantity status is displayed in the expanded item view.
How can I see who bought something on someone else's list?
To help you coordinate your gift-giving with others in your group, Giftster gives you the option to see the name of others who have marked items reserved or purchased. Giftster covers the name with a "reveal" label. If you click on it, the name is revealed. If you don't want to know this information, don't click reveal.
What isn't available on the app on the Shop For Others view?
You or anyone in your family can check Shop for Others view on the go from your mobile devices. On the app, Shop For Others does not have the reveal or "I want this too" feature.
How do I see upcoming birthdays?
On Giftster.com's Shop For View, you see Name and Birthday sort options at the top of the menu of members. Tap Birthday and your members are rearranged by upcoming birthday. Tap Name to change the sort back to alpha by first name, the traditional Giftster sort method.